How to write a short story
The act of writing short stories can be of great assistance to aspiring authors. The article covers, “how to write a short story” to assist in your writing journey.
Remember that becoming a great author is a journey; many begin by writing poems, short tales, or even blogs before moving on to books. So before proceeding to book writing, give a start with writing short story. And to know more read out full blog.
What is short story?
Short stories are complete works of prose fiction that aim to teach a lesson, record an event, or provoke an emotion. Short stories frequently have a stronger focus because every aspect—plot, character, pacing, story structure, etc.—must work together to achieve it.
Also Read Out – 8 Easy Exercise to Improve Writing Skills that Works
What is word limit Short Stories?
There are always exceptions to the rule, but the average word count for a short narrative ranges from 1,000 to 5,000. While there is a distinction between short tales and novellas, flash fiction is a type of creative writing that can have as few as five words (typically 30,000 words or more).
5 Requirements for Every Good Short Story
All fiction has some aspects in common, but short tales have the following in particular:
1. A mood or feeling that is distinct. This can be a theme (adultery, childbirth, life lessons), a genre (humor, romance, horror), or an emotion (loss, grief, joy). Or it might be a combination, provided it is coherent and makes sense.
2. Use simple, illustrative language that swiftly and effectively introduces the story’s main idea.
3. A limited number of characters, including a major character and one or more minor characters who must be essential to the plot. With our guide on character development, you can learn how to write characters.
4. A compelling viewpoint. Be clear about the point you want to make with your short narrative. Consider what you want readers to feel or think when writing a story. Ensure that the story reflects this point of view. In our thorough tutorial, you can learn more about the perspective of view.
5. Innovative components. Short stories don’t necessarily have to adhere to traditional storytelling conventions, so feel free to experiment with some of them. A short tale doesn’t need to have every scene have a “turn,” which involves transferring the emotional intensity to its opposite, despite the conventional recommendation. Do not be afraid to break a few rules to find what works best for you.
Also Read out – Tips For Good Outline writing
Five Steps to Writing a Short Story
For help crafting a fantastic short narrative, refer to this detailed tutorial.
1. Decide on the tone you wish to convey:
This is the sensation or emotion you wish to evoke in your readers, and it is what your short story’s various components will combine to accomplish. What sort of narrative are you hoping to tell, and why?
2. Make a powerful opening:
The exposition won’t have many places because of the limitations of the short narrative format. To avoid this, think about beginning your story in media res, a writing technique that involves setting the scene in the middle of the action and adding details later. This brings you right to the key scenario.
3. Create your story while keeping in mind word limit:
Save your time and space. The short story needs to have a purpose for everything. Every statement should be read several times, and you should consider whether it is truly necessary. Does it further the more important goal of enhancing the mood of your story? “A short narrative must have a particular tone, and every phrase must build towards it,” Edgar Allan Poe famously stated.
4. Deliver the climax:
This crucial moment has been the culmination of everything. Focus on the atmosphere you want to establish when you write the conclusion of your short tale, and consider what would be the most rewarding approach to accomplish this. Keep in mind that even though it’s short, a story, the plot still needs to make sense, and nothing should be too obvious. Does the story’s conclusion naturally flow from its beginning? Do you understand it?
Also Read Out – 10 Common Writing Mistakes Writers Must Know
5. Do editing.
Remove everything that feels unnecessary or hinders the pace. Take a break from your story, then return to it with a new perspective. Remember the main mood you’re aiming to convey once more. Reread your short tale at least three times, focusing on how the storyline, characters, dialogue, scenes, and settings all contribute to achieving the main objective. Please take note of any contradictions and eliminate or rectify them.
The article highlights, all the necessary information on “how to write a short story”. If you want to be a writer or needs to enhance your writing skills, you must start with writing short stories and understand, how to begin with.
To help new writers in their writing journey, WRITERS TUTOR team is always there to help them. If you need any help, reach us at “www.writerstutor.com”.
Also check out, latest article.